正如李碧华评张爱玲所说:她善写月亮,却并不圆满。
电影《成为简·奥斯汀》经典台词Jane: I have read your book. I have read your book and disapprove.
简:我读了你推荐的书,我看了,但我不赞同。
Tom:- Of course you do. But of what? The scenes? Characters? The prose?
汤姆:你当然不会同意。但不同意什么?场景、人物、还是文笔?
Jane: No, all good.
简:不,那都很好。
Tom: The morality?
汤姆:是道德准则?
Jane: Flawed.
简:有缺陷。
Tom: Well, of course, it is. But why? Vice leads to difficulty,virtue to reward. Bad characters come to bad ends.
汤姆:没错,肯定是这个,但为什么?恶行带来苦难,美德带来回报,坏人没有好下场。
Jane: Exactly. But in life, bad characters often thrive. Take yourself. And a novel must show how the world truly is, how characters genuinely think, how events actually occur. A novel should somehow reveal the true source of our actions.
简:非常正确,但在现实生活中,坏人却能活得很长,比如你,小说必须展现世界的真实性,人物真实的.想法以及故事发生的原貌,一部小说必须能够揭示我们一言一行的来源。
Tom: What of my hero's feelings?
汤姆:那主人公的情感呢?
Jane: Well, it seems to me, sir, that your hero's very vigorous feelings caused him and everyone connected with him a great deal of trouble.
简:在我看来,先生,正是主人公强烈的情感,给他以及和他有关的所有人带来了麻烦。
Tom: Ah, well, if the book has troubled you...
汤姆:好吧,如果这本书给你带来了麻烦...
Jane: Oh, but an orphan must know trouble.
简:一个孤儿经历过麻烦...
Lucy: What sort of trouble?
露西:什么麻烦?
Jane: All sorts of trouble.
简:很多麻烦。